Friday, May 26, 2006

Spinning and Knitting = Good

I've been spinning up some wonderful Merino Top I bought while on vacation in the Smoky Mountains. It's a beautiful blend of teal, blue, green, purple, and a touch of yellow. I have almost a full bobbin spun up and can hardly wait to get another one done so I can ply them together. I bought 8 ounces worth. I hope to get enough yardage to make a shawl or shrug type thingie. This is my first real attempt at making a useable yarn, and I'm dying to see how it will knit up. I also splurged on some Soy Silk. I have no idea how it will spin up and what I will do with it, so I'll wait for inspiration to strike on that.

I'm enjoying knitting monogamy this week with my Summer Orchid Cardigan. It's out of Knit Pick's Shine Sport in Orchid, and it's the first sweater I designed myself from start to finish, without using any sort of pattern. It has a lace border and will have a nosegay cable/bobble panel up the front sides. I'm almost done with the back and I'm really pleased. The yarn is soft and has great stitch definition.

I've been enjoying both spinning and knitting so much, it's hard to switch back and forth between the two.



This was last summer's sweater: Elmseed Cardigan in Saucy Sport. I made it for my sister, and the pattern was partially mine and partially software-written. All in all, it came out well, but the arms are a little tight on her, which just goes to show how important measurements are. I'm really hoping that this summer's sweater will fit me like it was made for me--because it was!

No comments: