Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Summer Orchid Cardigan

So I finished my Summer Orchid Cardigan. This was the first sweater I designed entirely from scratch. It's in Knitpicks Shine Sport, which is really nice, by the way. I love a yarn that looks better after you machine wash and dry it. All in all, I'm pleased with the results. The only glaring fault is the arms are about an inch too long. This is particularily annoying since I ripped the first arm out after it was a bit too short and made it a bit wider and longer. Obviously I only needed to make it wider. Otherwise, I think I'm really going to like wearing it. If it ever gets cool enough to wear.


And here's a detail of the front panels. The lace is Gull Wing and the bobbles are Nosegay, both from Barbara Walker's first stitch dictionary as was the edging, which is called Open Star. I love stitch pattern names!


But why is it so wide and short you say? Because I made it to fit me! That's right. Wide, short and sassy. Ok, not sassy, but you know what I mean!


Now that I'm done with this, and I must report that I knit it monogamously, starting May 16 and finishing July 3 (yes, I am slow), I must start work with the next big thing: short sleeved sweater in fingering weight periwinkle bamboo. I anticipate being done by the time the snow falls.

8 comments:

knottygnome said...

it's very pretty. i love the details, especially the bobble pattern.

Pinkwool said...

Oh that is sooo pretty and the color is yummy too! :)

I'm a slow knitter, too. It took me like 3 months to knit up a needle roll that is 80 rows by 110 sts. Lol So your pace seems fast compared to mine. :)

Abigale said...

Wow - that is really beautiful!

KNIT A NEW DREAM said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love bright colors - they make me feel happy all day. sue

Unknown said...

Very nice sweater. The pattern is great and it looks good on you!

Rain said...

It's gorgeous and looks good on you. The pattern is very pretty and the colour is beautiful.

LadyLungDoc said...

very nice design

Katie said...

I linked to your blog from knittyboard and just saw your cardigan. It's beautiful, and I'm impressed with how well it fits!