Thursday, October 04, 2007

The problem with being lazy....

.....is that when you make a blog post with pictures you took last winter, people think it's snowing in October. Sorry!
Although we did have snow in April, as chronicled here, yesterday's photos were all from last winter. It's beautiful and sunny and 78 degrees here in SE Wisconsin today, and here's some pictures I took out in my yard today:
Foxgloves in my new cottage garden. This is the first year for this garden, and it took FOREVER for the foxgloves to bloom. I hope all the flowers survive winter and come back well next year.
Morning glories, at 3:15 pm. So we had some morning glories here last year, and we planted a different variety this year. Last year's volunteers plus this year's planting plus not much in the way of thinning equals The Morning Glories That Ate The Garage. I should really take a morning picture as it is positively bursting with blooms then.

Sweet 100's tomatoes ripening on the vine. One plant has provided us with three months of non-stop cherry tomatoes. Yum! It pretty much took over the garden and sprawled out among the three other tomato plants which could not keep up in production. If the frost holds back, I think I can get about three or four pints more of cherry tomatoes.

And now, in Fibery News, I have spun laceweight! Yay! I turned this merino/tussah blend into about 545 yards of 20 wpi two-ply, which comes out to 2184 ypp. I feel pretty damn good about it.
One thing about it: although I bought a red and blue and white mix of fiber, somehow I did not expect to get purple yarn. I can't imagine why not. No matter what I do, I end up with purple yarn.



And finally, if your birthday is October 4th and you could reasonably expect to receive a present from me and if for some unfathomable reason, you are reading my blog, please stop reading now!

Ok, for the rest of us, I have made this:



The bottom band is my hand-spun cashmere/silk, only 60 yards worth, so I combined it with Socks that Rock mediumweight in the Downpour colorway held with a strand of Kidsilk Haze. A complete experiment with no swatching at all and a complete success, if I do say so myself. Should I write up the pattern?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, it's brilliant! do write up a pattern.

Beverly said...

Yeah, write it up. I love that cable.

kemtee said...

Duh. Of course you should. The rest of us would like to be able to emulate your brilliance.

Elizabeth said...

Lovely spinning and lovely hat! Go Sue!

P.S. My birthday is November 13. ;)

errs said...

I like purple and patterns. :D

A pattern would definately appease a knitting stalker.

Zonda said...

Beautiful nature pics, spinning and hat! :)

Jo said...

Lovely tomatoes - I'm surprised that we still have tomatoes too in October.

Rebel said...

I have some handspun merino silk in my stash that looks a lot like that... I haven't used it yet, but you're making me crave it.

And dang, I'm really impressed with that hat! I can't believe that's hand spun - you're so consistant. Petty pretty pretty.

Batty said...

I love that hat. I love the color combination. Write up the pattern, please?

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Beautiful hat. Now our socks that rock Downpour hanks aren't twins anymore. (Note to self: Knit stash.)

Bad Amy said...

Sooooo pretty!!

Eryn said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. The gardens, the flowers, the handspun, the hat.....