Thursday, August 17, 2006

An Elephant and an Experiment

So I knitted up this Elephant for a little boy named Cooper who was born a few weeks ago. He's my best friend's first nephew and the whole family is so excited by his arrival! I hope to meet him this weekend. I'm thinking Elmer, but maybe that's a little hackneyed. Horton?

He's from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, which is just about the only pattern book I ever make anything from. One strand Koigu KPPPM, one strand Dale of Norway Baby Ull and Koigu KPPM for his kerchief. Cute, isn't he?



Meanwhile, in a fit of boredom, I have embarked upon an experiment. I had occasion to search the internet for a specific pattern book recently. When I discovered that the shipping for the pattern would be more than for the actual pattern itself, I decided to throw in some yarn as well to make it worth my while. None of the yarns were jumping out at me, so I very foolishly decided to purchase the Grab Bag. Now, the Grab Bag was billed as "Over $30 worth of yarn, usually 3 to 4 balls, for the low price of $19.95." You could pick your color choices. I decided on green for some godawful reason now unknown to me. It'll be an experiment, I said to myself. I'll take what they give me and make something from it. I'll expand my creative horizons. I won't cheat. It'll be fun.

The package arrived. The grab bag was pretty.

The contents were not. Nellie is disgusted. (I did warn you about the cats, didn't I? They are frickin' hams.)

That's a sparkly Packer green and gold ribbon yarn, a not-so-bad-in-small doses squiggly yarn, and a truly horrible avocado-and-harvest-gold-straight-straight-from-the-seventies-appliance-color-scheme eyelashy yarn.

What in the name of all that is holy can I create with this stuff? Suggestions? Bonus points for tying in my beloved Packers. Help!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue,

The elephant is adorable! So thoughtful of you. And way to show me up, having come to town with zero presents in hand, much less one handmade. I guess I have some work to do this morning...

Thanks and BFF! :)
Kirsten

Sue, aka seiding said...

Hey Kathy, maybe we should start swaping for more green and gold yarn. I envision a log cabin blanket! Great way to make it on the JumboTron!

Sue, aka seiding said...

Kirst--Your presence in Cooper's life is present enough, I'm sure. Or maybe you should do a bit of shopping--baby clothes are fun and a receipt from Baby Gap proves you're an aunt!

Sue, aka seiding said...

I swape things all the time, I don't know what you're talking about! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I see. So what you're saying is the grab bag greenies aren't quite your style? I hope I can stop the mail truck and get your parcel back. ;)

Sue, aka seiding said...

Spinnyhead: green is good, grab bag is good, grab bag of green novelty yarns not so good! Does this mean I can expect a package? Yay!

Criosa said...

oh, that elephant is adorable. (great, one more thing to add to the to-knit list. hmmm... I wonder if the ends of Koigu I have would be enough for him...)

no ideas for the yarn, but a Packers KAL sounds good!