Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Still Alive and Knitting

Yes, it's true, I still knit. And I even finish some things on occasion:

A Cardigan for Arwen, from Interweave Knits Winter 2006.
Knit in Knit Picks Andean Silk. Alpaca/silk/wool. Color: Pool. In real life the color is a smidge greener and duller.

A detail of what made me knit it: Reversible cables! What in a normal cable would be the reverse stockinette background is really the purl-side crossing of the cable on the reverse. It's genius. Particularly challenging was grafting the cables on the cuffs (didn't get it quite right on the reverse) and the midpoint of the hood (perfection on the third try). It didn't help much that the instructions were somewhat vague, and in fact, wrong for the hood. But, through the magic of the Internet, I was able to find out how to achieve the desired effect. (Stop on Row 5 of the second side of the hood, not Row 6.)


And, as is my usual custom, I knit the sleeves too long. In this case, it's particularly galling as I originally knit the first sleeve shorter, but after trying it on, discovering the sleeve was much too skinny (note to Kate Gilbert: people choosing 49" bust sizes probably don't have 13.5 " upper arms!), I ripped it out and widened it. Since the sleeves are knit the long way, this meant adding more short rows. I now love short rows. They are not to be feared! Anyway, as I tried on my first too-skinny sleeve, I decided that it was also too short. This was a mistake, as I was measuring it as though it were a set-in sleeve. But it's a drop-shoulder design, which I have never made before. The drop shoulder added at least three inches to the length of the dang sleeve. Arggg!

Other than the sleeves, which really don't look bad cuffed due to the reversible cable, I love my sweater. The rest of it fits well. I lengthened it from the original design. It's a color I don't wear often, as I shy away from blue, but it really is a good color for me. And the Andean Silk is soft and warm. I am a little concerned about shedding, as I had many blue hairs all over me as I knit it, but perhaps now that it has been washed it won't shed much. Pilling might also be an issue. We'll see.

And I have a few works in progress:


Two-color Brioche Hat for my mom, in Naturally Merino Fine. She prefers the pink side. I like the gray, but hey, it's her hat. I will have to do a bit of experimenting when I get to the decreases, because I swatched with the gray side being the RS and I only know how to decrease properly on the RS. It'll all work out in the end, I'm sure.


Trekking 108 socks. No real pattern, short-row heel and toe and a 6x2 rib. It's suffering from second-sock syndrome, but I suppose I'll get back to it soon.

Danica Scarf from Knitty.com. Plymouth Yarn Baby Alpaca Brush, and a bit of my handspun for accent. My first foray into entrelac, which is really quite easy and fun. I'm almost done, but I've been putting off finishing because of this:

That's a lot of frickin ends to weave in! Complete disincentive to finish!

Well, that's it for the update, except: It's been 47 days since I bought yarn. For myself, I mean. Yarn for other people doesn't count!

9 comments:

DeltaDawn said...

Fantastico! You DO look great in blue, and that sweater is gorgeous. Are the cables done in ribbing?

Sue, aka seiding said...

Thanks Dawn! The cables are knit cables and purl cables. So sometimes you cross knit over purl,and sometimes you cross knit over knit and purl over purl. Different method than the rib cables. Really fun to do!

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Dear Arwen,
Several things:
1. I think the sleeve length could be just right. I mean if I were to be wearing it. (Note to self: You are greedy.)
2. WOW! It's fantastic and you look wonderful. Very fairytale / middle-earthish-Princess Bride.
3. I finished my socks before you. Not mentioning this to gloat. (Note to self: Stop gloating.) (Furthermore, you have nothing to gloat about. Where's your fancy cable sweater, huh?)
4. I forgot.
5. About the Danica scarf. You can line it with fabric, hand-knitted or not. Let me know and I will either help you or do it for you. My offer stands also on lining bags.
6. I loff your mom's hat. Pink and gray: classy. One of my favorite combos. Yes, I know I'm not classy, but pink and gray is.

Sarah said...

Love it!

That one is definitely on my wish list!

oooooohhhhhhhhh.

Batty said...

Blue is your color! That cardigan looks beautiful on you, extra-length sleeves notwithstanding. I can't believe the pattern came with instructions for tight sleeves! 13.5? That's not much, particularly if you're planning to wear anything under that cardigan.

I love the colors you've chosen for the Brioche hat. I will, however, try to forget about the gazillion little ends hanging off of Danica. They'll give me nightmares, in addition to possibly keeping me from trying entrelac, which I've been dying to try.

Sner said...

beautiful beautiful beautiful. I've been considering this pattern for a million years and may have to make it up after seeing yours!

Anonymous said...

Lovely :)
The color is perfect on you.

Jerry & Maxy said...

schnikes, it's awesome!!!

the 13.5" upper sleeve...HA!

well done!

Bufanditas said...

The blue looks awesome and your seater looks fabulous.

Is there any way to splice your ends?