Saturday, January 19, 2008

January Slump

I've been in a bit of a fiber arts slump so far this month. I have not spun every day, like I said I would. I am not making much knitting progress either. I'm sure I'll break out of it soon, though.

I did finally get my Harvest Moon spun and plied, though:


Harvest Moon Two-Ply
Super-fine merino, tussah silk, suri alpaca and Mongolian cashmere blend
plied with a strand of tussah silk.
100 grams, 330 yards, sportweight, about 17 wpi
Blended and dyed by Abby Franquemont.
I'm not thrilled with it. It is a little too loosely twisted and plied, I think. I could have done better by this lucious fiber. I'm also not sure I'm in love with the color. Spun up, it seems a bit muddy. I may overdye it.
And I'm half done with my latest pair of Trekking socks:


I was originally making these for my sister, but I decided to keep them for myself. I can't give up those colors! Laura will have to wait for the next pair, I guess.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

OH I love that yarn just like it is! Gorgeous job you did on that.

I know what you mean about the slump, though. I feel like I'm dragging on my projects.

Maybe we'll all perk up with some sunshine and temps that rise above 10 degrees F.

errs said...

Don't you dare over-dye those gorgeous colors...

It is gorgeous. I'm very impressed with your skilz. ;)

But I'm a knitting stalker not a spinning stalker so more knitting please. ;)

Batty said...

Beautiful yarn! It looks amazing. Love the colors.

And Mongolian cashmere. I didn't even know they had cashmere in Mongolia. Cashmere... soft and fluffy, I think you absolutely deserve some soft, fluffy cashmere for yourself.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I, too, like the colors in the handspun. They're subtle, but varied. And the looser ply let's it keep more sheen. The Trekking sock is beautiful. It's ok about the slump. Have an extra nap. Embrace your inner bear.

Rebel said...

I love that harvest colorway... so warm.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, I love the yarn!

Don't worry too much about the slump. Life is like that, you know. Up, down, and back up again!

Bad Amy said...

That Trekking colorway is fab!